International Advisory Panel
Roles and Functions
- The Advisory Panel shall provide vision and leadership, as well as broad policy direction, set priorities, monitor progress and facilitate NAM's contributions to the NAM Institute for the Empowerment of Women (NIEW) by liaising with donors.
- Among the functions of the Advisory Panel include adopting an advocacy role, as a means to advance an agenda or seek financial contribution, contribute to the widening of new relationships and networking with other international research centers on women, institutions, experts and individuals.
- The role of the Advisory Panel shall be to advice and counsel NIEW on setting its training, capacity building and research agenda for the development and growth of gender equality and the empowerment of women globally.
- The Advisory Panel shall be chaired by the Minister of Women, Family and Community Development, Malaysia.
Members of the Advisory Panel
- The Advisory Panel (AP) shall consist of ten (10) individuals appointed by the Minister of Women, Family & Community Development, Malaysia. Five (5) individuals will represent NAM Member Countries and five (5) individuals will represent Malaysia.
- AP Members shall be nominated by the respective governments of NAM Member Countries. Candidates should be "eminent persons" who are internationally distinguished and highly acclaimed for their work in promoting women's empowerment and gender equality.
- The five (5) AP members from NAM Member Countries should include:
- one (1) candidate who is recognized and an active member of a government, or a person who is able to influence the way a society is governed through a sensitive understanding of political power and group dynamics;
- one (1) corporate leader with reputable portfolios in running corporations with high ethical leadership;
- one (1) activist whose contributions and international recognition have led to the commencement of global initiatives by women activists around the world on the platform of gender equality and empowerment of women; and
- Two (2) eminent women who are internationally distinguished and highly acclaimed for their work in promoting women's empowerment and gender equality. They should also exert considerable influence and command support for initiatives on women's cause.
- The five (5) AP members from Malaysia should include:
- one (1) candidate from the Ministry of Women, Family, and Community Development;
- one (1) candidate from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- one (1) candidate from the Private/Corporate Sector;
- one (1) candidate from NGOs working for the benefit of women and gender equality; and
- one (1) candidate from the academia who is also a gender expert.
- NIEW shall ensure that candidates conform to the technical selection criteria and will disclose any potential or actual conflict of interest where it exists. NIEW shall, as far as possible, ensure that candidates are free from conflict of interest that would render her/him inappropriate to serve on the AP.
- NAM Member Countries, in consultation with their respective national machineries, are welcome to submit nominations for experts to sit on the AP.
Terms of Appointment
- Members of the AP shall serve for a term of 2 years, with the possibility of renewal.
- The Government of Malaysia reserves the right to appoint the Advisory Panel members from NAM Member Countries. All decisions with regard to appointments, terminations and/or extensions shall be conclusive and final.
- The Government of Malaysia will provide a return ticket on Malaysia Airlines (MAS), hotel accommodation and meals for AP members, for the duration of the meeting. Malaysian AP members will also be provided return tickets from any domestic destination within Malaysia, hotel accommodation and meals for the duration of the meeting.
- The AP meeting will be held at least once a year or as and when deemed necessary by the Government of Malaysia. Notice of meetings stating the time, date and venue shall be communicated in writing.
Last Updated: 24 March 2014 | Hits: 20376